Coastal Vacation Resorts - Unacceptable vacation rental/BAD customer service

In May 2013, I was looking for a vacation rental with specific amenities to have handicap access (due to my husband’s Charcot-Marie-Tooth Muscular dystrophy disease) and oceanfront, for the week of 09/14/2013. I wrote an email inquiring and was sent a response, plus a rental book in the mail from the agency. I found only one home that had these two amenities for rent this particular week, since we would be coming from our grandson’s graduation at Parris Island. After I read and looked at the photos, I called Coastal Vacation Resort two times to inquire about this home. I asked specifically ‘Is this home nice, up kept, modern, clean, in good condition?” I was told during both of my phone inquiries “Oh, yes. It’s very nice”! This was our first time going to Holden Beach area, since we typically go to Topsail Island; we thought someplace new would be a good option.

Upon arriving, we picked up our keys and went straight to the house. Within 15 minutes of walking through the home and outside, I put a call into the rental agency to tell them we were highly disappointed and asked what they could do?? I was told I needed to speak to the VP; Mrs. Brown. She came on the phone and listened to my concerns/complaints. She then informed me there was nothing they could do. I asked about moving us and we pay the extra if necessary. Mrs. Brown said she could NOT do that BECAUSE the owner of our rental home would get mad!?!?! I said, ‘Well, we CANNOT stay in this dump!” with her response being “Why don’t you stay until tomorrow and maybe you will feel better about the situation tomorrow? The weather is supposed to be really beautiful tomorrow.” (When was I concerned about the weather? I have gone to the beach every year of my life—beach weather changes constantly! I was raised and lived a few miles from Virginia Beach!)

I went outside and asked my husband what should we do?? He, too, agreed, we weren’t staying there. I took pictures to prove to the rental office why we were concerned and went to the office and was immediately sent to Mrs. Brown’s office. I once again told her my complaints and showed her the pictures.

Holden Beach, N.C. paid in full $1326.46 on May 07, 2013 for Arrival 09/14/2013-09/21/2013.

1. ROACHES crawling in the kitchen. I killed one and left it on a white coffee filter for them to see for themselves!

2. The furniture must have come from a dumpster instead of even a thrift store- it was so worn out! The bed mattresses were worn out and one when you sat down they felt like it was a box spring, which I even lifted the bedspread to make sure it was a mattress.

3. On one bed, there were 3 small dead bugs. I’m not a pest control professional, but I have sense enough to know if they are dead, they had to be alive at some point! (If there were 3 dead how many alive still? What kind were they?? )

4. The floors in the living room were warped badly and with my husband having severe balance issues when walking, this would have been a true disadvantage for him. If he were to fall and break a bone, his healing would be slow and probably never heal right.

5. The bedrooms were so small that there was a small distance between the beds and the walls to get around the bed. For motion/movement impaired persons, this would be a problem.

6. When I called and inquired about this rental, I was under the impression it was a house. It’s an old double wide (small) mobile home. I asked Mrs. Brown why we weren’t disclosed this information and she said she didn’t really know if it is a trailer or not, but possibly it is because before all the laws changed about specific buildings on the beach, they probably allowed mobile homes.

7. The deck was worn and boards loose in places. On the upstairs deck there was ONE rocking chair on it in poor condition. (There are two of us, where was the other one supposed to sit?)

8. The deck also had a gate that was just sitting on the deck and not put up. This is a liability for the owner and the rental agency, because it did not secure the pool, so if there were a child, it would have possibly been a dangerous/deadly situation!

9. Down at the pool was two plastic recliner chairs, old. Under the steps were aluminum chairs that were rusted/weather worn/ salt worn/torn all heaped in a pile. We weren’t sure if these were trash, or expected use for the guests!

When I went over each of these concerns and pictures, Mrs. Brown did nothing to offer any kind of resolution. I finally told her, “We aren’t staying in that house! I’m not taking a chance of taking roaches and whatever bugs on the beds, home with me! We drove 6.5 hours here and if we have to we will drive another 6 hours home before we stay there.” She said, “There’s nothing we can do!” I gave her the keys, and told her if I were a VP of this company, I’d call the owner of the rental home and tell him I would NOT rent his property any more until he did some overdue repairs and upgrades and get rid of the critters inside the house. She said, “Well, the only problem with doing that is, we have 3 homes of his we rent and we don’t want to loose them.” I said “Are all 3 of them like this dump you rented to us? “ She said, “Oh, NOOOOO “!! (My opinion, based on her response, she already knew this was a dump rental!)

Needless to say, we left Holden Beach after 30 minutes and drove home which was a total of 13 hours on the road. We were not only disappointed, but were never offered a resolution, not offered any refund, and it was like they didn’t even care we lost an entire weeks’ vacation! How sad this type of customer service is given to any person who has paid 4 months in advance, in good faith, not knowing they had been falsely represented by entrusting an agency to meet their desires and needs! My husband and I are retired and look so forward to our beach vacations, and to loose a week plus the money invested, is a shame.

Yes, I’m unhappy and felt I needed to have my say by reporting the conditions of this rental vacation home and the poor customer service of Coastal Vacation Resorts.

I want to keep others from experiencing the same situation by this rental agency as! Look for another rental agency!! Save yourself disappointments of renting from an agency that doesn’t care about the customer and don’t take a chance of loosing your money or even worse, like us, have no options but to forfeit your entire week of vacation! Research complaints and remarks online (something I failed to do) and spend your hard earned money with an agency that’s reputable and more concerned with their tenants!

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Helpful? 0 Yes 0 0 No 0
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Post a comment to start a discussion.

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Coastal Vacation Resorts. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

You were reading a complaint about Coastal Vacation Resorts.
Filing a new complaint about